Monday, March 27, 2017

March 2017 Month Review

This month has seemed to be rather full of things happening and a lot of waiting.  Thus I thought I'd take some time to review what filled the days.


My first fantasy horse in Horse Haven World Adventures
  
Gaming

This month hasn't seen much time spent in virtual worlds.  I've had too many other things on my mind with waiting on the application process for Gemma (you may read about this process in Opting to Adopt Part One and Part Two), blogging, working on Cocoa's journal, and trying to fit in drawing.  Thus something had to take a back seat and gaming seemed to be the easiest choice.  Although since the 17th I have started to pick it up a little more again.

I spend most of my time in Guild Wars 2 since that is the MMO that my husband also plays but I've started to dip back into Lord of the Rings Online again because I do love the landscapes and I enjoy doing some role-play.  For non-MMO games I started poking at Everday Genius SquareLogic which is one of my several games on Steam and is a style of sudoku.  I even ended up getting more back into a couple of my mobile games.  My husband and I play Idle Heroes together and I started delving back into Horse Haven World Adventures along with one of my Kairosoft games.


 

Reading

 

I spent a fair amount of time reading this month.  I got it into my head that I needed to finish the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini by the time we went to visit Gemma on the 17th.  As you can see in the picture above Brisngr and Inheritance are not very thin books.  I did a review of the first two books earlier in the month.  I was going to write a review of the last two but I've decided against it since I wouldn't want a spoiler to slip in.  I can say that for the most part I enjoyed the series and if you like fantasy type novels that deal with dragons, elves, and dwarves you may enjoy the books.

I then started to read Rider & Horse Back to Back by Susanne von Dietze so I could get back into expanding my knowledge of horse training.  Although so far this book is more about how your back as a rider can affect the horse's movement.  I find it quite interesting but it is a dry read so it's taking me a while to get through it.  Thus I had to sneak in The Level Best for Your Horse: the Myler Bitting System.  I quite enjoyed reading and refreshing my memory on how a bit works in a horse's mouth.  Bits aren't something I've dealt with the last few years since I switched Cocoa to a little S hackmore, which he absolutely loved.  Thus I want to make sure I get one that Gemma will be happy and comfortable with.

The other books I haven't had a chance to read yet since they just freshly arrived last Friday.  I have another one that is on it's way.  You can never have too much information laying around about how to communicate and work with a horse so they are happy in full filling your requests.



Blogging

 

I am quite pleased with myself for posting something at least twice a week all month, I even posted the day before we went to meet Gemma.  I'm not sure my content is always the most interesting for others but it helps me organize my thoughts and that was one of the main purposes for my starting a blog.  However, I am uncertain where this blog will go in the future content wise.  With my spending less time gaming, I have a feeling it'll be more about art and horses and life in general.  There isn't anything wrong with that but it's not what I for saw initially.

As I continue to add posts to the blog I keep finding myself wondering if I want to really try to extend my readership.  I can't say it 's a huge goal to be extremely popular but I do enjoy the interactions with others through comments and in online communities.  It would definitely be nice to get into a good blogging community for the interaction and inspiration.  No matter the popularity (or lack of), I plan on plugging away to post content since I have rather enjoyed writing on a regular basis.


Luck of the Irish won't be with you if you drive drunk

Trip

 

One of the more exciting and exhausting happenings this month was our quick trip to southern Kentucky to meet Gemma.  It took us about 5.5 to 6 hours to get to the hotel and then the farm where she is being fostered was another 30 minute drive.  Almost the entirety of the drive was spent going through rain, some of it downpours, and thunderstorms.  Needless to say we were quite tired by the time we got to the farm.  It was still an enjoyable 3 hours with the sweet, little mare though and we left with having a horse again.

The next day was a nice sunny drive back home and I was able to snap a picture of a sign (see above picture) that we had seen when we were driving to the hotel the previous day.  We both found it rather amusing.  

Hopefully sometime next week there will be a trip involving going to pick up Gemma.  I am very much looking forward to getting my girl home so we can start our adventures.



Watching

 

In between all of the other stuff going on I did sneak in some time to watch a few things on Netflix and DVD.  I will shamefully admit that there are many times I'll be working on a project in my office and have something play on Netflix through either my tablet or my PC.  This way I get to do two things at once!

So what exactly did I watch? Well, I watched some Chill with Bob Ross on Netflix while I was working on a bit of sketching and some of the time while I worked on Cocoa's journal.  I quite enjoy watching him paint.  He is a master of his chosen technique and the landscapes he paints from his mind's eye are beautiful.

I also decided to watch the remake of Pete's Dragon since Netflix had it available.  I was quite disappointed in it.  They made Elliot come across as way too beast like.  I much prefer the version that I grew up with because not only was Elliot a better character, the plot was better too.

For Christmas I had given my husband all five seasons of Babylon 5 along with a couple of the movies.  It was a show he had talked about for years so I finally decided it was time for him to have it.  I have to say that he is correct, the show is extremely enjoyable.  The characters are well written and there is an underlying plot that goes from season to season.  It's also one of the few shows where I like almost all of the characters. We just started watching season five which makes me somewhat sad because I'll miss having this to watch with my husband (the cats love it too since it means couch and lap time).



The title page drawing of Cocoa's journal

Art

 

I started this month with a lot of hope to be practicing drawing and even maybe have a couple of nice finished ones.  Ha! Life never goes quite as planned.  It didn't help that I decided to do a drawing challenge and a doodle challenge this month.  Those took/take up way more time than I had thought they would and many times by the time I was done with them for the day it was time to go do some other things (i.e. finish reading those stupid thick books...).  

One of the other hitches in my plan was that I wanted to have all of the stories that I had written and printed out entered into Cocoa's journal.  I did all of the writing by hand and also spent a lot of time putting double sided tape on pictures to adhere them to the paper.  I was able to meet that goal as of this last Saturday.  The journal is not fully done but it's in a much better state than it had been.  I mostly plan on adding in some more artwork I have done of Cocoa and sketch little doodles on some of the white space that I left open for that purpose on the pages.

My little drawing/art corner here in my office also needed some major attention.  Things were a bit messy yet from oil painting.  My easel was still in the way and needed to be until I had finished touching up the edges of the paintings with black acrylic paint (this makes it so I don't have to frame them).  Finally this last Saturday I got the last one all touched up and my husband helped me get it hung on the wall.  I then proceeded to clean up and go through stuff for the next 2.5-3 hours.  It was well worth the time because I now finally feel like I can sit down and draw with a much better frame of mind.


It's amazing how quickly time passes and how much or little seems to fit with in it.  While it may not look like I really got much done this month, you have to keep in mind I didn't share all of the mundane stuff (cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc.) that also take up a fair amount of time.  I am hoping to make greater strides in my creative endeavors next month but we'll see how well that goes since Gemma should be home and I want to go and see her 2 or 3 days a week.  I have a feeling that interesting times will continue, however, that is better than being bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment